Themabewertung:
  • 5 Bewertung(en) - 5 im Durchschnitt
Drawing attention to a specific user and their detrimental behaviour
The mind boggling aspect for me is that people actually bother to focus this much on other people's solving times and rating behaviour, when I barely have the time these days to actualy solve some puzzles. To each their own, I guess. 

Anyway, here's my two cents on the matter: 
You say that the "entire point" of this thread was that the person was cheating.... No, it wasn't. Please take a look at your original post.

Niverio schrieb:The main problem is that this solver DOES NOT solve the puzzles legitimately. [....] 
This alone would also not be a problem in itself. If a user of the portal wants to cheat both themselves and other users by just entering solution codes from other sources (which are commonly available with the resurgance of so many amazing youtube and twitch channels and their videos/vods, plus solver softwares available) and boost their stats that way, that is also their own problem.
What causes me to open a forum account just to make this post, is the combination of the two actions I described above. This user does not solve the puzzles in a legitimate way, but also rates these puzzles in extreme ways, and in almost all cases, extremely negatively.

That's your own words, explaining the point of your complaint. So please get off that imaginary moral high ground, where you think you get to question the integrity of the veteran users for not taking action against cheating. As you said yourself, a cheater doesn't cause any problem, they just rob themselves of the gratification of having solved the puzzle with logic. 

The thing that prompted you to start this topic was the effect this person's rating behaviour has, and I'd like to ssume that it was actually their negative posts and ratings that made you look into that person's activities and take notice of their solving times. Or do you check everyone' else's solving times? Would you even notice someone else "cheating" if they only gave extremely positive ratings to push their own puzzles?  

I haven't been solving enough puzzles lately to know which poster you are talking about, and frankly I don't want to know who it is. If what you say is true, I definitely do not condone their behaviour, but I still wouldn't recommend banning them. As others have already mentioned above, a ban doesn't solve anything when the person could easily create a bunch of more fake accounts and come back to bother us again, .. and maybe even more so than before. Don't feed a troll.... they'll come back wanting more. The most effective way to deal with it is by not bothering.... by not giving the troll the attention they seek. You can actively choose which aspects of the site you focus on.  

The only other way I think this type of situation could be effectively and permanently dealt with is to either get rid of the beauty rating altogether, or to restrict voting and commenting rights to a pre-defined group of people. (for example paying site members, or long time visitors, or people that have solved a certain number of puzzles, etc) 

However, I'm getting tired of this. Every few months someone drops in to complain the rating system itself or a person mis-using it. Your complaint has been heard, it just wasn't handled the way you suggested. No offense, but if you don't like it, then feel free to create your own puzzle website that you can run as you deem fit.

Nachrichten in diesem Thema
RE: Drawing attention to a specific user and their detrimental behaviour - von Joe Average - 04.03.2023, 03:50

Möglicherweise verwandte Themen...
Thema Verfasser Antworten Ansichten Letzter Beitrag
  Personalized User Experience Hausigel 26 10.516 13.03.2022, 11:50
Letzter Beitrag: Dandelo
  Benutzer/user mit & RoBau 0 2.077 07.06.2020, 13:11
Letzter Beitrag: RoBau

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 3 Gast/Gäste