Logic Masters Forum

Normale Version: Advice on writing puzzle instructions
Du siehst gerade eine vereinfachte Darstellung unserer Inhalte. Normale Ansicht mit richtiger Formatierung.
Hello everyone! I am completely new to logic-masters, and so far I have a great time here. I signed up the other day because I created a puzzle and wanted to share it to the community. One of the commenters said that they had some trouble understanding the puzzle instructions. I wonder how they might be clarified.

The puzzle can be found here. The instructions are as follows:

-----

Normal sudoku rules apply: all of the rows, columns and 3x3 boxes contain the numbers 1-9 once each.

Special rules: In the grid there are 5 hidden non-overlapping 3x3 "magic" boxes that contain the numbers 1-9 once each, arranged in a magic square (i.e., all the rows, columns, and diagonals sum to the same amount). Digits along the thermometer increase from the bulb to the end. Pairs separated by a white dot differ by the indicated amount. All pairs of digits summing to 10 are separated by an X.

sudokupad

Solution code: The digits in row 6 with - between digits separated by a magic box boundary. For example, 12-345-678-9 if there are magic box boundaries between 2 and 3, 5 and 6, and 8 and 9. Magic box boundaries at the outer edge need not be indicated in the solution.

-----

I would be very happy with any constructive feedback, so that I can improve my puzzles for the feature.
Hello Egubachu,

I looked at your puzzle and the rules are clear. The commenter said he had trouble understanding your Solution Code description, not the puzzle's rules. In my opinion the solution code description is also well worded with an example, however, the question is if such an extra rule is necessary. Considering the grid is relatively minimal, it is pretty unlikely that someone will come across the solution without being able to find the magic squares anyway, so just asking for Row 6 probably is enough.

With that being said, I think you did a good job with the presentation of the puzzle, both in rules and the solution code. The commenter probably got confused because usually you do not "draw" the magic square into the grid.
(28.03.2024, 11:08)Niverio schrieb: [ -> ]Hello Egubachu,

I looked at your puzzle and the rules are clear. The commenter said he had trouble understanding your Solution Code description, not the puzzle's rules. In my opinion the solution code description is also well worded with an example, however, the question is if such an extra rule is necessary. Considering the grid is relatively minimal, it is pretty unlikely that someone will come across the solution without being able to find the magic squares anyway, so just asking for Row 6 probably is enough.

With that being said, I think you did a good job with the presentation of the puzzle, both in rules and the solution code. The commenter probably got confused because usually you do not "draw" the magic square into the grid.

Hi Niverio,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. I agree indeed that my solution code description was more complicated than necessary. I'll keep it simple for my future puzzles.

Btw, thank you also for your encouraging comments about the Crossroads puzzle, that had multiple solutions. I am trying to fix it in such a way that the puzzle won't just collapse too soon, because I feel like this puzzle deserves a well thought-out logical path. I thought I had it, of course, but I must have missed a possibility somewhere in my logic. The black dots were really intentional where they were, and they do certainly give you digits. Just not directly at the black dotsSmile I'm a bit bummed though that they didn't fully disambiguate the puzzle like I thought they would.

All the best!